Getting to the top of Google’s search page is like climbing the Eiffel Tower. It takes time and lots of effort. If you want to improve your search rankings in Google and other search engines, here are our top 4 relatively simple steps to take:
1. On-Page Keyword Optimization
1. Do some keyword research and pick a keyword phrase to use on this page. For example, let’s say you’re a dentist in Vancouver, then the phrase might be ‘Vancouver cosmetic dentistry’.
2. Write your page content or blog article (at least 250-300 words). Ensure that you use the phrase Vancouver cosmetic dentistry in the copy. Most importantly, use it in the first paragraph.
3. Try to use the keyword phrase in the title.
4. Include an image and use the phrase in the image alt text.
5. Link to an external resource. For example, there might be a well known website that dental patients might find useful. Find a way to write copy that makes sense within the article and link to that resource.
6. Link internally. For example, this article refers to a previously written one on the website (see it above in step 1 – i.e. keyword research). Only link back to previous articles where it’s natural and relevant.
2. Search Submissions
Google is not the only game in town, so submit your site to Yahoo and Bing.
3. Blog, blog, blog (content marketing)
Blogging is a form of content marketing that is really simple to do. It just requires commitment. We have clients that hate writing, but love to talk and answer questions about their business. We suggest coming up with questions that your clients nolvadex want answered. Then write about it. This should come easily to someone who really knows and understands their business. Make sure it’s at least 250-300 words and have someone check the grammar. There’s nothing worse than reading copy full of spelling mistakes and dangling modifiers. To keep yourself on track, create an editorial calendar and set aside specific dates and times to write and publish.
4. Get backlinks!
I know, easier said than done. This requires brainstorming and quite a bit of effort – unless you are willing to pay for a bunch of links. But paying for backlinks might cost you more in the long run if you are penalized by Google. Paying for backlinks is frowned upon by the search giant. Here are some ideas on how to get those backlinks:
1. Are you part of any groups or associations? Many groups have a website. Ask for a backlink to your website from any public profiles you may have. Are you being featured as a speaker at any of these groups or events? Ask for them to link to your website prior to the speaking engagement.
2. Write a post about your business partner(s). Ask him/her for a link back to your post.
3. Do you (i.e. your business) participate in community events? If so, the event may have a website. Ask for a backlink.
4. Write a guest post for a blog in your industry. Ask for a backlink.
5. Find local directories and submit your website. Many of these are free. Ensure all your listings are consistent – website, address, phone, and email.
That’s it. Simple, right? Good luck!
Photo courtesy of xlibber